I love the Google Finance dashboards to keep tabs on my favorite stock (NYSE: DATA) and while I have certainly copied this layout for many of my dashboards I was always jelous how they were able to embed that sexy news feed to the right of the trends. For years I have pondered just how one might accomplish such a monumental task. Well, today my friends, you are in luck as I have climbed the mountain and drank from the fountain and it is sweet. Lucky for you I am here to share with you my new found knowledge. Enjoy and stay thirsty (for data) my friends!
How to embed a Google News feed into your Tableau Dashboards
- Setup a web server somewhere. I used the WAMP server install package to setup an additional web server on my already existing Tableau Server (download WAMP here)
- Once I had that going I copied the files found here (tableau-news-embed) to a new directory on my WAMP server.
- I then added a web page object to my Tableau dashboard with the URL parameters like so “http://myserver.com/?q=firefox+os&num=5”. In this example the parameter ‘q’ is my search term, which can be passed in using dashboard actions, and ‘num’ is the number of articles to show.
- (optional) You can now have this defaulted to a specific search or you can create a URL action in your Tableau dashboard to automatically change the news feed based on some user action. This is what I have setup below, when you pick a company name it passes that to the news.html page and updates accordingly.
- Revel in your accomplishments…
Here is a Google News Feed embedded into a Tableau Workbook
Feel free to download the workbook and checkout the dashboard actions on how exactly I did this
Here’s a step-by-step video on how to add Google News to your Tableau Dashboards